Kigali Public Library Annual writing competition is an open competition that engages public and private schools (Lower and Upper primary and secondary) in Rwanda that was launched in 2021.
Each year, the students are requested to write on a particular subject commonly for the aim of raising awareness or educating the Rwandan communities on different issues that our society is facing today, to enhance the creative writing skills among Rwandan communities with the opportunity to become published authors and promote particularly inclusive reading and writing among Rwandan youth.
Kigali Public Library annual writing season two is for Rwandan communities aims at engaging students and the general public in different categories to achieve high language proficiency in English, French, Kinyarwanda, and Sign language to enhance their reading and writing skill as well as stimulating their imagination and creativity.
LOWER PRIMARY: Write about things you do that makes you and your friends feel happy.
UPPER PRIMARY: Write about the things you would do when your friend feels sad and not happy
ORDINARY LEVEL: Write about what you think you would do to support a fellow student
who is being bullied either physically or online at school.
ADVANCED LEVEL:Write about how you think a school can support or establish a service
that supports students experiencing mental health problems.
Submission must conform to the conditions below:
All applicants must fill the required information on the application form both soft and hard
Applicants must demonstrate effective integration of writing principles, rules, and best practice guidelines for writing. Allowed writing types will be Essay, Fiction (Short story) and Poems.
Kinyarwanda, English, French and Sign Language
Documents will be received into both physical and digital formats. The first page must be containing:
- Full names, addresses
- Physical address (Province)
- Phone number and email address
- School name
Hard Documents:Must be written in a clear readable hand writing or typed
All documents must have 500 words maximum per page.
- Lower Primary:100 - 250 words maximum
- Upper Primary:200 - 500 words maximum
- Ordinary Level:500 - 1000 words maximum
- Advanced Level:750 - 1200 words mximu
- January 20 - 17 March:Applications submissions
- 06 - 30 March:Pre-selected contestants
- 21 - 22 April:Interview of 192 pre-selected contestants (strictly on weekends)
- 26 May:Announcing the 45 Winners of the competition on KPL writing competition portal
- 29 May - 02 June:Sending out Invitations to the winners and partners to attend the awarding and ceremony
- 10 June:Awarding Ceremony
- June to August:Publication of competitors works